These days are aimed at those who may wish to start training a tracking dog and cover the basics to get started. The day will include:
- Equipment required to start training
- How to collect blood from a deer and how to store it
- How to prepare and fit deer cleaves into a scent shoe
- Explanation of the scent picture that enables the dog to follow a scent on a trail
- How to lay a skin/pluck track (practical)
- A chance for the novice team to do some practical tracks under the guidance of our trainers
- All selection of equipment will be available for students to borrow / try out during the day prior to buying there own equipment
These days are ideal for those who are starting out in tracking or want to train a new dog the right way for tracking purposes.
Even if you have used dogs for tracking in the past but have not given them structured training, or had a chance to discuss training techniques with experienced handlers, you will find this day useful.
Dogs are welcome and will usually get an opportunity to do a short track.